History

History Provided by:

David Smith

The Bodine House

 

MHS_ARC_0002c

Muncy, Pennsylvania, carved out of the early conflicts between settlers and Indians, now stands as a historic community on the west branch of the Susquehanna River, at the crossroads of four early Indian trails: Shamokin, Wyalusing, Wyoming, and Towanda. The site dates back to 12,000 BC.

Shortly after the Revolutionary War, General Washington sent Capt. John Brady to settle here along the Muncy Creek to secure the territory for the advancing settlers from the Philadelphia area, many of whom were Quakers. Muncy had its first influx of settlers from 1787 to 1796 Some of the original names were McCaarty, Walton, and Ellis. Many of these and their descendants are buried in the old Walton Cemetary on west Water St. (recently restored by the Muncy Historical Society). The McCarty’s built the first dwelling in 1790 and in 1799, Benjamin McCarty laid out the town now known as Muncy. The desire of the settlers was to develop a community where they could live in peace and prosperity, worship and raise their children. Around this time, the Quakers among them built the Pennsdale Friends Meeting House, three miles out of town. It still stands today in its original condition.

MHS_ARC_0007aIn 1826 the growing community was incorporated and the name ”Muncy” was established as the Borough’s name after the Monsey Indians, a tribe of the Delaware Nation who lived here. An early merchant town, Muncy developed rapidly due in part to the proximity of the Pennsylvania Canal (built 1831) and the Sunbury and Erie Railroad (built 1856). In those days there was a spur of the canal and a railroad station within 2 blocks of downtown. Remnants of the canal are still visible in parts of the town. Several manufacturing industries were established, some of which are still operating. The town continued to grow and prosper throughout the 1800’s, as new industries and business establishments were added. In 1934, the Muncy Historical Society was established to preserve and collect items and documents relating to the town’s history. Its publication “Now and Then” is a journal of the activities and historical events, is published three times a year. Numerous events and exhibits are held often to inform and educate the public .

Today, Muncy is a thriving town of about 2000 and has several industries within its borders. Fortunately, progress has failed to damage its original architecture, much of which is still intact.